Black Raspberry, the “King of Berries”
Black raspberry, affectionally known as “blackcap” by growers, is native to eastern North America, but is now predominantly grown in Oregon. Oregon accounts for over 90% of black raspberry production in the United States. Black Raspberry contains an extremely dark pigment which allows them to be used as a colorant and gives black raspberry one of the highest antioxidant ratings in common fruits and berries. Rich in ellagic acid, anthocyanins and antioxidants, black raspberry has been called the “king of berries” for its superior health benefits.
High Antioxidant Levels of Black Raspberry
Recent testing has confirmed that black raspberry has astonishingly high antioxidant levels. Antioxidant levels, shown in terms of their oxygen radical absorption capacity (ORAC), are a measure of a substance’s ability to absorb oxygen free radicals. Oxygen free radicals can damage DNA, cause cellular change, oxidize LDL cholesterol, and cause premature mental aging. Consuming foods high in antioxidants helps prevent cancer, heart disease, stroke, and possibly Alzheimer’s Disease. When compared to other foods, black raspberry has extremely high ORAC values. It is also among the foods highest in anthocyanins. Anthocyanins give foods like black raspberry its deep, dark color and have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and vasoprotective properties. Research has linked anthocyanins with improved vision, cardiovascular health, memory retention in old age and reduced risk of hypertension.
Health Benefits of Black Raspberry
Studies at Ohio State University have found significant decreases in colon tumors in rats and esophageal tumors in mice fed a diet with black raspberry. In vitro studies have shown that extracts of raspberries and blackberries may slow the growth of breast cervical, colon and esophageal cancers. Human clinical trials are underway to assess the effects of black raspberry on colon and esophageal cancers in humans.
The king of berries in terms of health benefits has an extremely high overall level of phenolic compounds compared to other berries.
- Phenolic compounds such as ellagic acid, gallic acid and rutin contribute to the health benefits of black raspberry.
- Contains high levels of anthocyanins, which give them their rich, dark color. Anthocyanins work as antioxidants that help fight free radical damage in the body. The anthocyanin level of black raspberry is 214-589 mg/100g.
- Antioxidant levels of food is sometimes measured as ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity). The ORAC level of black raspberry is 77 µmoles /TE/g, about three times higher than blueberry, a very powerful antioxidant.
- Black raspberry is rich in ellagic acid. Ellagic acid is a phenolic compound known to be a potent anticarcinogen, anti-viral and anti-bacterial. The ellagic acid level of black raspberry is 5.37 mg/g of dry weight.
- University studies are underway to determine black raspberry’s ability to slow the growth of certain cancers. In vitro studies show that extracts of raspberries and blackberries may slow or reverse the growth of breast, cervical, colon, oral and esophageal cancers.
- Studies at Ohio State University showed a 60–80 % reduction in colon tumors in rats fed a diet with black raspberry added.
- Studies at Ohio State University showed an 80% reduction in esophageal cancers in mice fed a 5-10% diet of black raspberry.
- Scientists from Ohio State University are now conducting human clinical trials into the effects of black raspberry on colon and esophageal cancer in humans.
- Black raspberry continues to generate a high level of interest from research scientists due to its potent antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.
- Source: Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission
Pure Black Raspberry
Genesis Today’s 100% Pure Black Raspberry is a potent, nutrient-dense Superfood offering superior health benefits. Genesis Today handpicks only premium black raspberries, which are freeze dried to lock in the freshness and potency of this Superfood. Their 100% Pure Black Raspberry contains no preservatives, fillers, binders, colorings or chemicals, just the finest black raspberries harvested at the peak of freshness. The remarkable amount of antioxidants found in this Superfood help to scavenge and neutralize the Free Radicals associated with premature aging, inflammatory and cardiovascular problems. The powerful Anthocyanins that give Black Raspberry its deep, rich color have been shown to support immunity, anti-inflammatory processes, vision health, improved memory and healthy blood pressure levels. The phenolic compound known as Ellagic Acid, has been shown to be anti-viral and anti-bacterial, and also supports the elimination of free radicals and detoxification of the body.
Here at Willner Chemists Atlanta we are proud to carry a high quality 100% Pure Black Raspberry like this product from Genesis Today. Come by Willner Chemists today or feel free to give us a call at 404-266-9115, if you have any further questions about Black Raspberry and our staff of knowledgeable of supplement professionals will be happy to assist you.